- Region: Sud-Ouest
- Ville: Buea
- Nom entreprise ou personne: UNICEF
- Type de contrat: CDD
Offre d’emploi à ONG UNICEF : Education Specialist, P-3, Temporary appointment, Post#109465, Buea, Cameroon (6 months)
Job Number: 519908
Locations: Africa: Cameroon
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
How can you make a difference?
Support the planning, implementation, and monitoring of the Education in Emergency (EiE) response in the South West and North-West regions (Anglophone crisis). Consultancy Firms responsible of site supervision and quality assurance/control.
Summary of key functions
Strategic advice and program management
- Provide technical support to plan, and conduct EiE assessments in the South-West, North-West (SW/NW) and Western (Littoral and Ouest) IDP hosting regions, including in synergy with other sectors.
- Propose strategic and operational guidance to the Field Operations and Education Departments to enhance the UNICEF emergency response in education in the (SW/NW) and Western regions, including through the action of other sectors;
- Identify key emerging humanitarian issues, needs and risks;
- Coordinate Back to School support in SW/NW/Western regions;
- Provide technical assistance to the Radio Education program and Accelerated Education planning and other alternative platforms for educating children affected by the Anglophone crisis
- Monitor the EiE response, keep track of key indicators (e.g. Humanitarian Performance Monitoring – HPM indicators) and provide timely and accurate information to the Field Operations and Education Departments;
- Support in the coordination and conduct of needs assessment of affected populations in the North west, South West, Littoral and West regions;
- Actively contribute to the writing of Education funding concept notes and proposals.
- Ensure that Partnership Cooperation Agreements (PCAs) are developed, reviewed, finalized and followed up (including budget and expenditure monitoring);
- Provide technical support to UNICEF implementing partners, including NGOs and Community Based Organizations (CBOs) in developing and implementing the EiE response;
- Monitor partnerships, implementation and reporting in accordance to objectives and deliverables set out in the PCAs;
- Coordination (internal and external coordination)
- Participate in UNICEF technical coordination meetings at the centralized (Yaoundé, when applicable) and decentralized levels (as applicable);
- Ensure that key information (e.g. strategic and emerging issues, needs) is shared on a timely and concise manners with the Field Operations and Education Departments, as well as with all other relevant departments (e.g. Protection, Health and WASH departments);
- Participate and represent UNICEF in the decentralized coordination Education fora (e.g. governmental fora, cluster meetings, regional intersector meetings as applicable);
- In accordance with humanitarian principles and UNICEF’s mandate, ensure that UNICEF Education programs and positions are well known by all the stakeholders in the South-West and North-West regions.
Field support (support implementation of strategies, reporting)
- Work with Field Operations and Education Departments to develop advocacy messages on protecting education from attack;
- Carry out other relevant duties that may be assigned by the Education and Field Operations Departments generally and in response to unforeseen emergencies;
- Provide weekly and monthly situation reports on the humanitarian response activities.
- The EiE Specialist is expected to support capacity building/representational/oversight missions.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in Education or related subject areas such as Social Work, Psychology, Law, Sociology, Child development, Project management and/or relevant field experience .
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with UNICEF and/or other relevant actors and programming in Education in Emergencies; Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English (oral and written). Good command of French language is an added advantage
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
* Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that there are family restrictions in this duty station.
* Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
Opening Date Wed Feb 13 2019 14:30:00 GMT+0100 (heure normale d’Afrique de l’Ouest) W. Central Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Wed Feb 20 2019 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (heure normale d’Afrique de l’Ouest)